Welcome to the webpages of the Logic Group of the Institute of Computer Science of the Czech Academy of Sciences (ICS CAS). The group is part of the Department of Theoretical Computer Science. You'll find us here.
News and recent publications
- Zuzana Haniková is co-organising the Czech Gathering of Logicians 2023 in Ostrava.
- Adam Přenosil is an invited speaker at the Algebra Week 2023 in Siena and at the MOSAIC 2023 workshop in Vienna.
- David Fernández-Duque received the Best Paper Award at KR 2022 for the paper "The Topology of Surprise", co-authored with Alexandru Baltag and Nick Bezhanishvili. Congratulations!
- Marta Bílková is an invited speaker at DaLí 2022.
- David Fernández-Duque and Marta Bílková are invited speakers at TACL 2022.
Selected recent publications:
- G. Badia, P. Cintula, P. Hájek, A. Tedder: How Much Propositional Logic Suffices for Rosser's Undecidability Theorem? The Review of Symbolic Logic 15(2):487–504, 2022.
- P. Cintula, B. Grimau, C. Noguera, N. Smith: These degrees go to eleven: fuzzy logics and gradable predicates. Synthese 200:445, 2022.
- I. Sedlár: On the Complexity of Kleene Algebra with Domain. RAMiCS 2023.
- J. Gispert, Z. Haniková, T. Moraschini and M. Stronkowski: Structural Completeness in Many-Valued Logics with Rational Constants. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 2022.
- Z. Haniková: Vopěnka’s Alternative Set Theory in the Mathematical Canon of the 20th Century. Filosofický časopis, 2022.
- J. P. Aguilera, M. Diéguez, D. Fernández-Duque and B. McLean: A Gödel Calculus for Linear Temporal Logic. KR 2022.
- A. Baltag, N. Bezhanishvili and D. Fernández-Duque: The Topology of Surprise. KR 2022.
- M. Bílková, D. Kozhemiachenko and S. Frittella: Paraconsistent Gödel modal logic. IJCAR 2022.
- M. Bílková and A. Tedder: Relevant Propositional Dynamic Logic. Synthese 200, 235, 2022.
- N. Ferenz and A. Tedder: Neighbourhood Semantics for Modal Relevant Logics. J. Philosophical Logic, 2022.
- I. Sedlár and P. Vigiani: Relevant Reasoners in a Classical World. AiML 2022.
- K. Yamamoto: The automorphism group of the Fraïssé limit of finite Heyting algebras. J. Symbolic Logic (to appear), 2022.
- P. Cintula and C. Noguera: Logic and Implication: An Introduction to the General Algebraic Study of Non-classical Logics. Springer, 2021. [Errata]
- I. Sedlár: Decidability and Complexity of Some Finitely-valued Dynamic Logics. KR 2021.
- Marta Bílková
- Petr Cintula
- Nick Ferenz
- David Fernández-Duque
- Thomas Macaulay Ferguson
- Zuzana Haniková
- Ondrej Majer
- Adam Přenosil
- Igor Sedlár
- Kentarô Yamamoto
- Filip Jankovec
- Chun-Yu Lin
- Pietro Vigiani
Past members: Paolo Baldi (→ University of Milan), Stefano Bonzio (→ Polytechnic University of the Marche in Ancona), Libor Běhounek (→ University of Ostrava), Karel Chvalovský (→ Czech Technical University), Petr Hájek (✞), Dagmar Harmancová, Rostislav Horčík (→ Czech Technical University), Tommaso Moraschini (→ University of Barcelona), Milan Petrík (→ Czech University of Life Sciences), Luca Reggio (→ University of Oxford), Andrew Tedder (→ Ruhr University Bochum), Amanda Vidal (→ IIIA-CSIC Barcelona) Jamie Wannenburg (→ University of Witwatersrand).
Research topics: non-classical logic, modal logic, substructural logics, dynamic logic, abstract algebraic logic, universal algebra, epistemic logic, relevant logic, algebras for program verification, and much more...
- CELIA - Coalition and Epistemic Logic: An Intensional Approach to Groups,(PI: Olivier Roy & Marta Bilkova, coPI: Ondrej Majer), joint LA project of Czech Science Foundation (GACR) and DFG (2022-2025)
- GRADLACT: Graded Logics of Action (p.i. Igor Sedlár), 2022-2024, Czech Science Foundation
- MetaSuMo: Metamathematics of Substructural Modal Logics (p.i. Petr Cintula), 2022-2024, Czech Science Foundation
- We're a partner in the MOSAIC project (EU MSCA-RISE, 2020-2024)
- NOCLID: Nonclassical Logical Models of Information Dynamics (p.i. Igor Sedlár), 2018-2021, Czech Science Foundation (Junior Project)
Our regular research seminar runs on Wednesdays 4pm and talks are often streamed via Zoom. More information can be found here. To join the seminar mailing list, contact Igor Sedlár.
- 07 Jun Vít Punčochář (Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Philosophy): Fuzzy Information States and Fuzzy Support
Study and Work Opportunities
The ICS and the Czech Academy of Sciences regularly open calls for postdoctoral researchers, and tenure-track positions are opened on a yearly basis at the ICS. Let us know if you are interested in applying.
- CAS–ICS Postdoctoral Position, deadline 15 April.
The ICS welcomes applications within international schemes such as the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships. Applications are particularly encouraged since the government of the Czech Republic supports no-money MSCA-PF projects. Let us know if you're interested in applying.
Teaching and thesis supervision
Members of the group offer supervision of Master and PhD theses focusing on their research topics. We can serve as supervisors and co-supervisors for students based at universities in and outside the Czech Republic. Get in touch if you're interested in writing your thesis with us.
Current PhD students:
- Filip Jankovec (supervised by Petr Cintula)
- Chun-Yu Lin (supervised by Marta Bílková)
- Oguz Korkmaz (supervised Marta Bílková at the Charles University in Prague)
- Pietro Vigiani (co-supervised by Igor Sedlár at the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa)
Past PhD students:
- Adam Přenosil (supervised by Marta Bílková at the Charles University in Prague, thesis Reasoning With Inconsistent Information defended in 2018)
- Karel Chvalovský (supervised by Marta Bílková at the Charles University in Prague, thesis Undecidability of Some Substructural Logics defended 2015)
Recently taught courses:
- Dynamic Logic. Charles University in Prague (Fall 2021).
- Mathematical Logic 2021/22. Czech Technical University in Prague.